Wednesday 28 May 2008

What do you call a man who....?

What do you call a man who comes into your life in a "special way" when you are in your early fifties?

My gentleman friend? - Well, of course he is but this is rather formal, the sort of thing my mother might have said so it's a definite no-no. Conjures images of tea-dances, gramaphone records and Sunday afternoon walks with little white gloves and a demure hat.

My chap? Only in certain circles but it's OK, chummy, fairly informal but not truly descriptive if a bit thigh-slapping.

My partner? A bit too businesslike for me and not technically accurate. True partnership in all respects however is a worthy aspiration something sadly lacking in my former life.

My boyfriend? He's not a boy, he's definitely a grown up and all man.

My significant other? What exactly does this mean? Sounds rather schizophrenic to me.

Or, as he qualifies, - well only by 16 months - my toy-boy? Ok, sometimes I joke about it but it usually ends up backfiring on me.

Shorty? I'm ever so slightly taller than he is in stockinged feet but it doesn't seem to bother me or Bernie and Slavica Ecclestone so it doesn't bother him either, although his lack of Bernie's fortune does cause some concern.

Actually none of the above really paint the right picture so the most apt description I think for this lovely man who would do anything for me, freely expresses his feelings, accepts, loves and is often amused by my idiosyncracies and tells me that every day with me is an adventure, (yes, flattery got him where he is today) is worthy of his title - my Lover.

I'm not sure my mother would approve of this but it's honest and she does approve of him.

I haven't actually asked him how he refers to me....... Lucky?

3 comments:

blogthatmama said...

A dilemma, but an exciting one by the sounds of things.

icemaidensmellingthecoffee said...

Hi BTM
Certainly is!

Liz Hinds said...

Aw, that's lovely.